I’ve never made white bean chili, but I’ve tasted a few variations. The weather is cold and windy, and it seemed like a good time for a new recipe. This one comes together pretty fast. It is based on several recipes I found and the ingredients I had on hand. We all thought it was pretty good and will make it again.
White Bean Chicken Chili
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 – 32 oz. box chicken stock (4 cups)
- 1 cup water
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken, diced (preferably the white meat)
- 5 cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese – Monterey Jack, white Cheddar, Pepper Jack. May also use sour cream instead.
- Heat olive oil in large pot. Add onions and garlic. Sauté until slightly cooked – 3-5 minutes.
- Add oregano, cumin, cayenne pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Add broth, water, and chicken. Cook a few minutes until slow boil.
- Remove 1-2 cups liquid and pure two cans of drained, rinsed beans with an immersion blender or food processor. Add to soup.
- Add remaining 3 cans rinsed, drained beans and cook mixture 30 minutes or so to blend flavors.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve and top with cheese or sour cream.