The original inspiration for this salad came from Smitten Kitchen. I’ve had to make several changes to accommodate the availability of ingredients in our rural area. The end result was a hit with the family and I’ve made it several times since.
Kale Quinoa Salad
Ingredients – Dressing
- 4 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 large bunch of kale (I’ve used both the curly kale and the dinosaur (aka Lacinator) kale.
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 bunch of scallions, sliced part ways up into the green stalk.
- 5 oz bag dried tart cherries (my daughter used cranberries instead)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted until light brown and cool.
- Feta Cheese – crumbled
- Lemon zest gratings
Put it All Together
- Rinse the quinoa thoroughly. Place the quinoa in a small saucepan with 1 1/2 cups boiling water and a 1/4 tsp. sea salt. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until tender. Rinse quinoa well in cold water and drain. Set aside.
- Rinse and dry the kale. Remove the leaves from the stalks, discarding the stalks. Finely chop the kale and put in a large bowl. (Do make sure it is chopped finely. )
- Add the quinoa, scallions, cherries, almonds and mix well.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over the dressing. Grate some lemon zest over the salad. Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Add the Feta cheese to the individual servings.
- This servers 3-4 as a meal or several smaller servings if used as a side.
Surprisingly, this salad will keep well in the refrigerator for a day.