Not much to say about this soup except that it is TOTALLY awesome. I had posted a link to the recipe on Simply Recipes on Facebook awhile back and it generated a lot of comments. This soup is incredibly easy to make, healthy, and tastes great. I tweaked a few ingredients from the original. The spices are essential to this soup, so please don’t skip them!
Easy Cabbage Soup
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin seed
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds (grind them in a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder used for spices)
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-7 cups packed of sliced cabbage (I make slices around a quarter inch)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 cups water (depends on desired thickness of soup)
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
Put it All Together
- Heat the olive oil and butter on medium heat in a soup pot (8 qt). Add the garlic, onions, and spices. Cook until onions are softened, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the onions, stirring to mix. Sprinkle with the sea salt.
- Add the tomatoes and juices to the onions, again stirring.
- Add the chicken broth. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 25-30 minutes or until cabbage is thoroughly cooked.
- If soup is too thick, add additional water or broth.
This is a light soup. I have sautéed some sliced Andouille sausage for users to add to the soup at their discretion. My husband likes this addition.