Haven’t written anything for awhile. Have lots of recipes and no time :-(. Anyway, thought Id get caught up a bit by posting a basic smoothie recipe we like. I could have smoothies every day for breakfast! Here’s one I really like… and it’s definitely adjustable with a variety of fruits.
- 1 small banana
- 1 tsp. chia seeds
- 1 scoop vanilla flavored whey/protein powder (I use Mercola’s Miracle Whey)
- 1-2 Tbsp grated lemon or to taste. (NOTE: I put a lemon in the freezer and then grate it into the smoothie with a microplane grater)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup water or 1% milk
- 1 cup frozen manago chunks (more or less)
- Fresh grated nutmeg.
Put it Together
- Put all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Grate about 1/8 tsp nutmeg over mixture.
- Using an immersion blender, mix the ingredients until smooth.
- Pour in a large cup or glass – or if you wish, put in two smaller cups for 2 servings.
- Grate some more nutmeg over the cup.
- NOTE: I leave the lemon and mango out 5-10 minutes before proceeding with grating/mixing. The lemon grates better if left out a few minutes and the mango blends better if slightly thawed.
Variations: There are lots of variations on this. I will often use frozen blueberries or mixed berries as the fruit and then use cinnamon for the spice — using about 1/2 tsp. cinnamon in place of the nutmeg. A friend uses frozen peaches and raspberries. If no yogurt, you can use milk in it’s place if desired. I’ve left the whey powder out and added more yogurt and that works just fine too. Don’t believe there are any hard and fast rules for smoothies. Use your imagination and enjoy!