Scones are fun to make and can be relatively healthy. Here’s one I put together with ingredients on hand. I only have a few left after an hour, so it must be a keeper.
Almond Prune Scones
- 2 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar (sub regular if desired)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut in small chunks
- 2 tsp. fresh grated lemon zest
- 1 cup plain almonds – chop and toast lightly
- 1 cup diced prunes (substitute other dried fruit as desired)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
Put it Together:
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and lemon zest together in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into mixture using a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly
- Add almonds and fruit
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla & almond extract
- Pour into large bowl of flour mixture and combine until dough just sticks together. Do not over mix.
- Generously spray 2 double lined cookie sheets with SPAM or other vegetable oil. Using 1/4 cup, drop dough on sheets approximately 2 inches apart. Brush dough with additional milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Put cookie sheets in freezer for 20-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bake approximately 15-20 minutes. Serve with butter or jelly/jam.
- NOTE: If you do not have double-lined cookie sheets, put parchment paper on the cookie sheet – the scones will burn easily if precautions not taken.